Almost everyone has broken the rules at least once in their lives. For example, you were unable to find a parking space and you parked your vehicle in a prohibited parking lot. When the situation is critical, you have no choice but to disregard traffic regulations. However, any action has a consequence. So, you may not be able to find your vehicle where you last put it. You think the pound probably took it away. Don't worry, here are some steps you need to take to get it back.

Make sure the car is in the impoundment

When your vehicle is no longer parked where you left it, it has been moved or impounded. You must also ensure that it has not been stolen. If you have not received any letter notifying you that the car has been removed by the pound, you have 2 alternatives: either you contact the police near the place where you parked it; or you directly query the dedicated site of the police prefecture by indicating the vehicle registration number. If you receive a letter from the pound for example, you must comply with certain conditions. If you leave your car in custody for several days, you will receive a notification by mail 5 days after impounding the vehicle. There will be all the necessary contact information in this letter. You will find the name of the agent who decided to impound the vehicle. You will also see where the car is kept and how long it will take to get it back. You also have the option of preventing pick-up if you arrive on time, i.e. if your vehicle still has its 4 wheels on the road. However, you must pay a parking ticket and collection fees.

Obtain a return authorization

Before rushing to get your vehicle back to the headland, you must obtain the release of the impoundment. To do this, you must go to the gendarmerie or police station nearest to where you parked your car. You must present a proof of identity and a vehicle registration certificate to obtain the return authorization. These files must be provided to the person in charge of the pound. If you are not the owner, you must have the owner's ID and a written and signed power of attorney.

Pick up the vehicle at the impound lot

When all these details are settled, don't waste any more time and go directly to the pound. Please note that the vehicles located there are not kept for more than 30 days after the impoundment letter. They will be sold to the State or destroyed after this period. This varies according to their condition.  To get your car back, all you must do is present the return authorization and pay the impound fee. This procedure also varies according to the number of days elapsed after the vehicle is impounded. If your car has been in possession for less than 3 days, you can retrieve it, with the registration certificate if it has also been seized. All you must do is make a request and pay the fees.

Procedures if detention exceeds 3 days

If the car is in detention for more than 3 days, an expert appraisal is required to check its condition. This will determine whether you have the right to recover the vehicle immediately. Of course, you will be responsible for the cost of the expertise. Once the expertise is completed, if the vehicle is in good condition, you will get it back immediately after paying the return fee. Otherwise, it can only be returned to you after a roadworthiness test or mandatory work. Of course, you must pay the fees. Then, you will have to start the repair work with a professional to get your registration certificate back. This is done on presentation of the roadworthiness test or the professional's invoice. If the expert considers that your car can no longer drive, it will be destroyed. However, it is still possible to recover it. To do this, you will need to make the repairs. Once your car has been repaired, you can present the invoice, take the registration certificate and pay the fees. Apart from that, you can also request a second opinion at your own expense. To do this, contact the guardian and ask him for an authorization to leave the pound. You can make a claim if you notice any damage to your car during its stay in detention. You can detail it on the register at your disposal. A copy of your complaint will be given to you.