Are you planning a trip abroad in the near future and want to drive yourself and explore new horizons? Driving a car is easy, but when it comes to renting a car abroad, there are a lot of things to keep in mind beforehand. When you rent a car in another country with a language other than your own, things can get a little complicated as there is a lot of paperwork to complete. Today we will learn the steps to follow to rent a car in another language and make the experience a little easier. If you want to rent a car, visit and learn more about it.

What documents will they ask for?

Of course you must have a valid driving licence issued in your country of origin. In the United Kingdom you will be asked for the driving licence, while in the United States they call it driver's permit. Please note that, depending on the country, it may not be legally permitted to rent a car to people under 21 and/or who do not have a minimum of three years of driving. In addition to your driver's license, you will probably be asked to pay insurance in case something happens to the car. This is mandatory in almost every country in the world. We advise you to take a look at the policies offered by car rental companies so as not to be surprised by the prices when picking up your rental car,

What about mileage and fuel?

In the UK when you rent a car, you will be told about mileage and fuel. In other words, you will be asked how far you think you will drive and the fuel you think you will use. Normally you will be given the car with a full tank of fuel (petrol in the UK, gas in the US), but remember that it is probably a requirement to return the car with a full tank. In some English speaking countries, depending on the company you can rent a car with the fuel and mileage included in the price. But you can be sure that this option will cost more money. It's worth calculating if this is the best option for you financially.

Make sure you know the rules of the road!

Renting a car in a foreign country can be quite difficult because of the language alone, but if you don't know the country's road rules then it can be even more difficult. In the UK you drive on the left side of the road, which can be an added challenge for many people. The set of driving rules for the UK is called The Highway Code and can be consulted on the internet, so it is a good idea to familiarise yourself with it before travelling. For example, if you've never been through a roundabout, you can learn how to get around them in this book. And this is something we recommend, as there are MANY roundabouts in the UK.

Enjoy the experience

Driving in a foreign country can be an intimidating experience, but try to enjoy it to the fullest. Always make sure you have read the rules of the country you are travelling to, so that you are fully prepared. Remember that, in addition to this article, you will also find many other articles in the ABA Journal with advice on how to travel, how to deal with different cultures and how to behave in certain countries. If you follow our advice, we're sure you'll have a great time on holiday practicing your English. In addition to checking out the ABA Journal, you can also register for the free ABA English course and access 144 free videos to help you improve your English just in time for your travels.